Stress and weight gain, or lack of weight loss go hand in hand. You will not realize and you will gain many kgs. Stress has a very bad effect on our body and mind which we get to understand mostly very late.
Being under constant stress has the following consequences:
- Like sleep deprivation, too much stress increases the production of cortisol. Not only does this increase appetite, it can also cause extra fat storage around the abs.
- Cravings for foods that are high in sugar and fat, comfort foods to make us feel better. We end up consuming more calories than required.
- Skipping workouts because you just feel too stressed out to exercise.
- Not taking care of self. We end up ignoring our own body, mind and relationship.
Dealing with stress
- Work on staying calm – We often try to fix the problem with food or alcohol. Which might not be the solution but instead of this if we stay calm and focus on finding the right way or talk to the right person we may find a solution. Anxiety is not going to solve the problem.
- Meditation – Believe it or not but meditation is a very powerful medicine and it will surely cure the stress and tension.
- Exercise – You may feel like exercise is the last thing you want to do, but it can give you instant stress relief. Even just a walk outside can reduce stress and tension.
- Breathe – Calming down doesn’t have to take a lot of time. Just closing your eyes and taking a deep breath will instantly calm you.
- Yoga – Yoga is a great medicine for stress and very helpful in the weight loss. I have lost around 26 kgs post pregnancy weight just by performing yoga and mat exercises at home.
- Running – Yes, running is very helpful in controlling the stress and your weight too.