I try not to use the elevator, at least when I am alone. Initially, I started this practice as I never wanted to wait for the lift but slowly it converted to a good exercise form. Now if I take an elevator or lift I feel so awkward. I want to be fit and strong and this is the easiest way I can do my workout on any day. It too helps me in many other ways and I list them below:
- Climbing the stairs will help you in building your leg muscles. It’s an aerobic exercise that also strengthens the muscles of your lower body. When you climb stairs, you are working against gravity, which causes the muscles of your thighs, buttocks, and calves to work harder than they would on level ground.
- Climbing stairs helps you improve your heart rate and it too will increase your lung capacity. The consistent movement of your legs and hips results in deeper breathing increasing your heartbeat, which leads to increased blood flow in all of your body.
- You will burn more calories climbing stairs than you will be walking because it is a more vigorous aerobic activity.
- Climbing stairs will leads to stronger joints and muscles.
- It will help you in losing extra calories which will again help you in losing weight.
- If you are claustrophobic this is the best way to avoid those crowded lifts.
- You are never depended on the lift or elevator.
- You are never depended on the weather for your exercise, you can do this anytime.
- If you have a traveling job, this practice will help you to be fit and you will never miss your workouts.
Using stairs will help you in many ways and you will see the effect of it in a few days.
Note: If you have a history of knee injuries, consult with your health care provider before beginning a stair climbing program/ workout.