As I always say we should be ready to get help from family and friends but it’s not that easy when it comes to getting help from relatives. When my boy was born my mother in law came to stay and help me for some 10 days.
Those ten days were tough for me to adjust and relax not because she was bad or wrong but because I was going through a very different phase of my life. I was in my own world very protective about my baby.
Few of my experience which will help you in dealing with relatives and maintaining a good relationship.
- Dont shout at them! Yes, I did and that was my biggest mistake. If you don’t like their suggestion and help just say sorry or be calm but don’t reply back rudely.
- Understand they are human too and can be wrong. They have come to help you so get that help and you take proper rest. They will not take away your baby with them.
- You need a proper sleep as during night baby will not allow you to get that so during day time leave your baby with them and relax and sleep. Get your health/fitness back on track.
- Respect your relatives as they have come to help you but don’t make them overstay. Try to be independent in their presence.
- As body goes through a lot of physical and emotional changes, so in anycase you feel like being rude to them just move from that place. Whatever makes you calm do that but don’t be rude but be smart.
- Take good care of your health. It’s the only place where you will find maximum relief.
Normally after pregnancy it takes around 3 to 4 months to get back to a normal life but in few cases it might be little early as well. This the the best time you have with your baby and believe me life s going to come back on track very soon.